Chilled Tomato Consomme
- 4 pounds fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 beet root, peeled and sliced
- Fresh chives, for garnish
- Special equipment: Butcher's twine, 3 to 4 large pieces cheesecloth (about 2 by 2 feet)
Put the tomatoes, green onions, lemon juice, basil, garlic and salt and pepper, to taste, into a food processor and run until blended and slushy. Put 4 layers of clean cheesecloth in a deep bowl. Pour the tomato mixture into the cheesecloth. Tie up the corners of the fabric. Add the slices of peeled beet root to the bowl to color the liquid. Hang the bag from a shelf in the refrigerator with the bowl underneath for a couple hours (or longer). Discard the beetroot. Ladle the consomme into chilled clear or white bowls and garnish each with a single piece of chive.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Jesse Brune, 2010