Goat Cheese Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound white yams, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup warm milk, if needed
Place the potatoes and yams in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and season with salt. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Drain the potatoes and yams and place in a stand mixer fitter with a whisk attachment. Add the goat cheese, butter and garlic and mix on low just until smooth, being careful not to over-mix or the potatoes will become gummy. Season with salt and pepper. If necessary, add the milk to loosen.
Recipe courtesy Damaris Phillips