- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (28-ounce) cans peeled pear tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Meatballs, recipe follows
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 1 pound ditalini pasta, cooked al dente
- Grated Romano, for garnish
- Italian bread, for serving
Pour the olive oil into a large heavy bottomed pot with the garlic. Place over a medium flame and let the garlic brown. Be careful not to let it burn. Put the tomatoes through a blender to liquefy. Add to the browned garlic along with the parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring the tomato mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer and carefully drop the meatballs into the sauce. Let simmer for 1 hour.
Add the peas and the cooked pasta and serve hot with grated cheese. Serve with Italian bread, if desired.
4 pounds ground beef
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Romano, grated
Freshly ground black pepper
Put the ground beef into a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, garlic, parsley, salt, cheese and pepper and mix by hand until well combined. Form the mixture into 1 inch balls - a small ice cream scoop works well for this. Place the meatballs close together on a baking sheet as you make them. When finished, drop them into the simmering sauce.
Yield: 60 meatballs