Crostini with Chicken Livers: Crostini di Fegatini
- 1 loaf Italian baguette cut into 1/4 or 1/2-inch diagonal slices
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1 pound chicken livers, cleaned, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup Cognac or brandy
- 8 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- White pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set the baguette slices on a baking sheet and lightly brush with the olive oil. Bake until light brown on both sides, turning once, about 4 minutes. Alternately the bread may be browned on a grill, which will impart a light smoky flavor.
In a large skillet melt the bacon fat over medium high heat, add the onion and saute until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken livers, Cognac and sage to the pan and saute until the livers are browned on all sides but still slightly pink in the center. Stir in the capers and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001