Grilled Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 sweet onions, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 mangos, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, stem, rib, and seeds removed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat a grill.
Lay 2 large pieces of heavy aluminum foil in a stack on a work surface. Mound the sweet potato mixture into the middle and wrap in the foil, turning up the edges to make a tight, well-sealed package. Place directly on the grill and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
(Alternately, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the potato-mango package in the middle of the oven and roast until the potatoes begin to soften, 45 to 50 minutes. Uncover and roast until tender and starting to caramelize, 15 to 20 minutes.)
Remove from the grill and let cool slightly before unwrapping. Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a large, decorative bowl and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Sprinkle with peanuts and fresh cilantro and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2002