Hot Cocoa Souffles
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons sugar, plus 3/4 cup, divided
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 large egg whites
- 30 miniature marshmallows, plus 1/4 cup mini marshmallows for garnish
- 1 recipe chocolate sauce, recipe follows
- Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- Kahlua Chocolate Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur (recommended: Kahlua)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using the butter, grease 6 (8-ounce) oven-proof, straight-sided coffee cups or ramekins, and sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon sugar. Place prepared coffee cups or ramekins in the refrigerator while you prepare the batter.
In a large metal bowl, combine the cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of sugar. Heat milk in a small saucepan, just until scalded. Pour milk over cocoa and whisk until smooth and sugar is dissolved. Whisk in egg yolks and vanilla.
In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with remaining 1/4 cup of sugar until stiff and glossy. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until thoroughly blended.
Pour the chocolate mixture into the chilled coffee cups or ramekins. Place about 5 marshmallows into the center of each ramekin just before baking.
Bake souffles until they are puffed and somewhat firm, about 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately with chocolate sauce and dust with confectioners' sugar and garnish with mini marshmallows.Kahlua Chocolate Sauce:
Place the chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl.
Combine the milk and cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from stove and pour hot milk over chocolate. Allow mixture to sit for 1 minute. Whisk until smooth. Add coffee liqueur and whisk to combine. Serve warm with Hot Cocoa Souffles.
Yield: approximately 1 3/4 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.