- Lobster Broth:
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cups sliced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 pounds lobster bodies and shells
- 1 star anise pod
- 8 cups water
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in 1/2
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- To Assemble the Pho:
- 12 ounces rice vermicelli noodles
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3/4 pound chopped lobster meat, from the tails and claws
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onion, white and green parts
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 small green chiles, sliced
- 2 small red chiles, sliced
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Mint, for garnish
- 1 cup bean sprouts, for garnish
In a large non-tick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until just beginning to color, about 6 minutes. Add the lemongrass, cilantro root and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the lobster bodies, star anise, water, carrots, ginger, cinnamon and peppercorns and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, skimming the top to remove any foam that forms on the surface. Remove stock from the stove and strain through a fine strainer. Place in a new stockpot and bring to a simmer.
Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles to the water and boil until just tender, then drain in a colander.
To assemble the Pho, bring the soup to a simmer, as needed, and add the fish sauce. Drain the boiled noodles in a colander and divide among 4 soup bowls. Divide the remaining ingredients among the bowls and ladle the broth over each portion at the table. Garnish with lime wedges, mint and bean sprouts and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.