Miso Soup with Vegetable Stock and Tofu
- 1/3 ounce konbu (kelp), about 2 or 3 squares
- 4 cups vegetable stock, recipe follows
- 3 large dry wood ear mushrooms, wiped clean
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons white or yellow miso paste
- 1 tablespoon brown miso paste
- 1/4 cup finely sliced scallions
- 4 ounces tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
To make the "dashi" soup stock, in a large saucepan, combine the konbu and vegetable stock and heat over medium-low heat almost to the boiling point. Remove the konbu just before the mixture comes to a boil and discard.
Add the mushrooms and soy sauce to the dashi and steep until mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, and when cool enough to handle, slice thinly. Return to the liquid. Add the miso pastes and cook over low heat, stirring to dissolve. Add the scallions and tofu and cook until warmed through, about 3 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2003