Pan-Fried Pass Manchac Catfish with Spicy Tartar Sauce and Hushpuppies
- 4 (8-ounce) catfish fillets, sliced as thinly as possible lengthwise into 2 to 3 thin pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Spicy Tartar Sauce, recipe follows
- Hushpuppies, recipe follows
- Spicy Tartar Sauce:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup seeded, chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions, green parts only
- 1 tablespoon seeded, minced jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- Buttermilk Hushpuppies:
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot red pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup minced onions
- 1/4 cup minced red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapenos
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
Place the flour in a shallow dish and season with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the Creole seasoning. Season the fish on both sides with the salt. Lightly dredge both sides of the fish with the flour and shake to remove any excess.
Heat about 1/2 cup of the oil in a large, heavy skillet. Place 2 fish fillets in the pan and cook for 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels and season with the remaining Creole seasoning. Repeat with the remaining fish, adding more oil as needed.
Serve hot with the Spicy Tartar Sauce and Hush Puppies.Spicy Tartar Sauce:
Melt the butter in a small saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the corn, salt, and cayenne, and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 5 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and let cool.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate until ready to serve with the catfish.
Yield: 1 1/2 cupsButtermilk Hushpuppies:
Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, hot sauce, onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, and cayenne in a large mixing bowl and mix well to break up any lumps. Stir in the eggs, buttermilk, and water, and blend well.
Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat to 360 degrees F.
In batches, drop the batter by tablespoons into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on all sides, turning with a long-handled spoon, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining batter. Sprinkle with the Creole seasoning and serve hot.
Yield: 18 hushpuppies
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001