Pork Chops Stewed with Apples and Prunes, with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 (1 1/2-inch thick) center cut pork chops
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup julienned yellow onions
- 2 large golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Calvados or brandy
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup quartered pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes, recipe follows
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
- 4 large sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a large deep saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Season the chops on both sides with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to rest.
To the fat in the pan, add the onions and cook, stirring, until beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Add the apples, rosemary, and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the sugar and stir. Add the Calvados and bring to a boil, stirring to deglaze the pan. Add the stock and prunes and bring to a boil. Return the chops and any accumulated juices to the pan, cover, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the pork and fruit are very tender and the pork reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F, about 30 minutes.
Remove the pork to a plate and cover to keep warm. Add the cream to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning, to taste. Pour any accumulated juices from the meat into the pan.Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Place the potatoes on a roasting pan and roast until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Peel the potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mash with a potato masher or heavy fork. Cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
Yield: 4 servings
More Recipes and Ideas:
Sage Rubbed Pork Chops with Warm Apple Slaw, Grilled Pork Chops with Long Hots and Yellow Bell Peppers, Emeril's Shake 'Em Up Pork Chops, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Grilled Pork Chop Recipes, Caramel Apple Recipes, Apple Cobbler Recipes, Enchilada Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.