Southern Cooked Greens
- 1/2 pound raw bacon, chopped
- 3 cups julienne onions
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle Dixie Beer
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 6 pounds greens, such as mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, kale,
- and spinach, cleaned and stemmed
In a large pot, render the bacon until crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the onions and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes or until the onions are wilted. Season the mixture with salt, pepper and pinch of cayenne. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the beer, vinegar, and molasses. Stir in the greens, a third at a time, pressing the greens down as they start to wilt. Cook the greens, uncovered for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Main Challenge: Spicy Southern Collard Greens with Sweet Maple Cornbread, "Soul Roll" (Southern Greens-stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Red Beans and Rice and Pan Gravy), Stewed Collard Greens, Pork Shoulder Recipes, Easy Side Dish, Side Dish Recipes, Easy Lunch, Spanish Rice Recipes, Spinach Recipes