Warm Grilled Shrimp Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more for serving
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Essence or Creole seasoning, recipe follows
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 10 ounces Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 to 3/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons chopped, seeded brine-cured black olives, such as kalamata
- 2 teaspoons small capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus small fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a bowl, combine the shrimp, olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, garlic, Essence, and pepper flakes and toss to coat the shrimp evenly. Let marinate, refrigerated, for at least 1 and up to 2 hours.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, place the potatoes and enough salted water to cover by 1-inch and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon of the extra-virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon of the remaining lemon juice, and a pinch of the salt. Set aside.
Preheat the grill to high heat.
Add the shrimp to the bowl with the potatoes. Add the remaining extra-virgin olive oil, the remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, the olives, capers, cilantro, salt, and pepper and toss to combine. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and serve on small plates, garnishing each plate with a sprig of cilantro.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William Morrow, 1993.