Glazed Sugarloaf Pineapple:
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1/2 to 1 pineapple (depending on size), peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces, rinse and reserve nice leaves, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 Australian lobster tails
- 1/4 teaspoon Bijol (Cuban spice mix)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Pineapple and Lobster Salad:
- 1/2 mango, peeled and diced small
- 1/3 papaya (Hawaiian), diced small
- 2 ounces water chestnuts, julienned
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced small
- 1/2-ounce carrots, shredded
- 1-ounce bamboo sprouts, quartered
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1-ounce purple cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup Lime Mayo Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- Pineapple Chips, recipe follows
- 2 ounces fresh coconut, shredded and toasted
Cuban Shrimp Skewers:
- 1 small piece sugar cane (sold at specialty shops)
- 1/2 teaspoon Bijol (Cuban spice mix)
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper medley
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 8 (U-12) shrimp
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Mix vanilla seed, sugar, and rum together in a large bowl. Add the pineapple and marinate for 15 minutes. Cook pineapple with melted butter in large pan over medium-high heat in batches until pineapple has caramelized. Cool and cut into small diced pieces. Set aside.
Cut tails lengthwise and crack shell. Pull out meat but keep tail attached at tail end. Season with Bijol, salt, and pepper. Brush with butter. Roast until cooked, approximately 15 minutes, basting with butter a few times. Cool and dice.
Preheat a grill: Cut sugar cane into 4 skewers, about 4 to 5 inches long. Season with Bijol, salt, and pepper. Mix butter, zest, and fruit juice then brush shrimp with butter mixture. Grill, basting with butter mixture until shrimp is fully cooked.
Place 3 to 4 pineapple chips on bottom of plate and place coconut in center of chips. Fill coconut with salad. Garnish with lengthwise chips and pineapple leaves. Spoon a tablespoon of dressing on each plate. Lean shrimp skewer against coconut and plate at an angle.
Note: This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Lime Mango Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup pureed mango
- 1/4 cup citrus honey
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 1 cup virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Simple syrup, recipe follows
- 1 large white pineapple or regular pineapple
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. For the pineapple chips: Peel and cut the pineapple in half width-wise. Cut small wedges out of the pineapple to create thin flower slices. Cut other half lengthwise to remove the core. Dip into simple syrup and place on a silicone mat or parchment paper on a sheet pan at 200 degrees in oven for about 4 hours until dried out to create chips.
- 1 cup coconut water or milk *see note about cracking coconuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped
* Cracking Coconuts: Tap with a cleaver, applying pressure around top of coconut. Tap around and around the top of the coconut until the top breaks off. Reserve coconut water.