- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 3/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 11 -ounce tube refrigerated French bread dough
- 1 large egg
Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool; pat dry. Mix the broccoli, cheddar, sour cream and chives in a bowl until combined, then squeeze the mixture together with your hands to make it compact.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and brush a baking sheet lightly with vegetable oil. On a floured surface, roll out the dough and fill the dinner pockets. Step-by-step directions.
Place the pockets seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Beat the egg and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl; brush the pockets with the egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Photograph by Andrew Purcell