Chipotle Lamb Chops
- 2 chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce, plus 2 tablespoons sauce from the can
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 bone-in lamb shoulder chops (about 2 pounds)
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro (leaves and stems)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 28 -ounce can whole plum tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
Mince and mash the chiles into a paste with a large knife, then mix with the adobo sauce, cumin and thyme in a small bowl. Season the lamb chops with salt and coat with the chile mixture.
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or wide deep skillet over high heat. Add the lamb chops and cook until browned on both sides and a crust starts to form, 8 to 10 minutes.
Stir in the onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, cilantro, bay leaves and cinnamon, and cook until the garlic is soft, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices; use a wooden spoon to break up the tomatoes and scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. The chops should be barely submerged in liquid; add up to 1/2 cup water, if needed. Cook until the meat is tender and the sauce is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Serve the chops with the sauce.
Per serving: Calories 285; Fat 11 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 91 mg; Sodium 607 mg; Carbohydrate 13 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 31 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.