Couscous Salad with Tomatoes and Mint
- 3 cups (about 1 1/2 pints) cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 kirby cucumbers, seeded, and diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups instant couscous (a 10-ounce box)
- 2 cups water
- 2 wide strips lemon zest
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch cayenne
- 1/2 cup torn mint leaves, stems saved
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped flat leaf parsley, stems saved
- 3 scallions (white and green), chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, optional
Toss the tomatoes, cucumbers, and lemon juice in a bowl with 2 teaspoons of the salt. Set aside.
Put the couscous into a large bowl. Bring the water, lemon zest, 3 tablespoons of the oil, the remaining salt, cayenne, and herb stems to a boil over high heat. Pour the liquid over the couscous, stir to separate any clumps. Cover with a lid, plate, or plastic wrap, set aside for 5 minutes. Remove the zest and herb stems and fluff with a fork.
Add the tomato mixture, scallions, mint, parsley, and pine nuts. Drizzle the remaining oil over the salad, toss and serve.
Copyright 2003 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens