Escarole Salad with Bacon, Caramelized Onions and Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
- 4 strips bacon (about 4 ounces)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces mild blue cheese, such as Maytag, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large head escarole, coarsely chopped (about 1 pound or 12 cups chopped)
1. Cook the bacon over medium heat in a medium skillet until crispy, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. To the drippings add the sliced onions and toss well. Cook until deep brown and well caramelized, stirring occasionally, another 25 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together the cheese, vinegar and oil. The dressing will be chunky and not completely emulsified. Place the escarole in a large serving bowl and crumble the bacon over it. When the onions are done and still warm, sprinkle over the escarole along with the dressing. Toss well just before serving and season to taste with salt and pepper.
From Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman