Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
From Food Network Kitchens
In this Chopped Dinner Challenge recipe for shellfish stew, the sweet brininess of mussels adds body and complexity in just minutes. Chopped[ Basket Ingredient: mussels]
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Kosher salt and finely ground black pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes in juice, pureed in a blender
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds mussels, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Crusty bread, for serving
Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat until hot. Add the garlic, onions, 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in the wine, pepper flakes and thyme, and boil until reduced by half, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in the pureed tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer. Add the mussels and cover the pot. Cook until the mussels have opened wide, about 6 minutes. Discard any that didn't open. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer to serving bowls and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.