Slow-Cooker Coconut Brown Rice Pudding
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens
Rice's natural starch (helped along with a bit of coconut milk) turns into creamy, surprisingly light rice pudding with sweet floral flavor[ from coconut water. Set out a toppings bar of dried fruits, toasted nuts, shredded coconut and seeds and let everyone personalize their own bowl.]
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups coconut water
- One 13.5-ounce can lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups short grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- Suggested toppings: diced fresh or dried mango and pineapple, fresh or frozen and thawed raspberries, toasted shaved coconut chips, chopped crystallized ginger
Mist a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Mix the coconut water, coconut milk, 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, vanilla and salt in the bowl of the slow cooker until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the rice and cook on high 4 hours or low for 5 to 6 hours.
Uncover, stir well and let stand 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the butter. Continue to cool, stirring, until warm. Stir in the lime zest. Serve warm or chill until cold. Top as desired.
Copyright 2012 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Cook's Note: To cool your rice pudding faster, spread the pudding on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the refrigerator until cool, about 10 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.