Tuscan Beans With Tuna
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 16 fresh sage leaves (8 chopped, 8 whole)
- 2 15 -ounce cans cannellini beans
- 3/4 pound kale, stems and ribs discarded, large leaves torn in half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 inner stalks celery, thinly sliced (with some leaves)
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 12 -ounce can solid white albacore tuna in water, drained
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and chopped sage and cook until the garlic just starts to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the beans (including the liquid from the cans) and 1 cup water. Increase the heat to medium high and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Add the kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender and the liquid looks creamy, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, toss the tomatoes, celery, olives and roasted peppers in a medium bowl. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat, then fry the sage leaves until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes; drain on paper towels. Reserve the oil.
Break the tuna into large chunks and divide among shallow bowls. Spoon the bean mixture around the tuna and top with the olive salad and fried sage. Drizzle with the reserved sage oil and season with salt.
Per serving: Calories 564; Fat 28 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 36 mg; Sodium 1,092 mg; Carbohydrate 45 g; Fiber 11 g; Protein 33 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.