French Dip Sandwich
- 11/2 pounds sirloin, sliced across the grain on the diagonal bias until very thin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for sauteing
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
- 4 French rolls, split and lightly toasted
Pat dry the meat and season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot. Add the meat, in batches, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until browned on both sides. Transfer meat as it is cooked to a heatproof platter. Keep warm in a slow oven. Pour off fat from skillet. Add butter and melt over moderate heat. Add shallots, garlic and thyme to the skillet and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Add the wine and reduce by half. Add the stock and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove meat from oven and pour platter juices into simmering jus. Have rolls split and arranged on a platter. Drizzle some of jus over cut sides of rolls. Divide meat among 4 bottom halves and top with remaining bread. Transfer sandwiches to serving plates.
Transfer jus to individual dipping bowls and serve sandwiches with jus.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.