Mini Meatballs with Raspberry-Balsamic Barbecue Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces ground dark turkey meat
- 8 ounces spicy Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 3 tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 2 to 3 large mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into thirty six 3/4-inch cubes
- Thirty six 1-inch pieces torn radicchio leaves
- Special equipment: thirty six 4- to 5-inch-long bamboo skewers
For the meatballs: In a large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, basil, parsley, milk, tomato paste, garlic, salt, pepper, egg, garlic and onions. Using a wooden spoon, stir to blend. Add the ground turkey and sausage meat. Using fingers, gently mix all the ingredients until thoroughly combined. Using a tablespoon measure, form the meat mixture into 1 to 1 1/4-inch balls (about 36 meatballs).
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until well browned on all sides and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
For the sauce: In a food processor or blender, blend together the raspberries, ketchup, jam, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt, pepper and lemon zest until smooth. Pour the sauce into a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until slightly thickened, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and cool for 10 minutes. Pour into a small serving bowl.
Thread 1 meatball, 1 mango cube and 1 piece of radicchio leaf onto each skewer. Arrange the meatballs on a platter and serve the barbecue sauce alongside for dipping.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis