- 6 pita rounds
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin or lamb
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 2 sprigs fresh, finely chopped
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 box frozen spinach, 10 ounces, defrosted and wrung dry in towel
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup pitted, chopped kalamata black olives
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 pound orzo pasta
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut pita rounds into 6 wedges each with knife or kitchen scissors. Scatter wedges onto a baking sheet and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Season with salt and bake 10 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and cool.
Heat a large high sided skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium- high heat until oil ripples. Add beef or lamb, brown and crumble meat, about 5 minutes. Season the meat with salt, pepper, oregano, cinnamon. Add the onions, garlic and eggplant and cook 6 to 7 minutes then stir in spinach and tomato sauce. Simmer a few minutes and adjust seasonings.
Chop olives with lemon zest and parsley - Greek Gremolata!
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook orzo according to box instructions.
Drain orzo and combine with meat goulash. Top bowls of goulash with feta cheese, pita chips and olive gremolata.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.