Grilled Blue Fin Tuna
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/2 cup
- 1/2 -ounce golden raisins
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup California black olives, drained
- 1/4 cup Nicoise olives
- 1 -ounce roasted garlic
- 4 pieces anchovies in oil
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole butter
- 4 large red bliss or assorted waxy potatoes, skin-on, washed
- 8 ounces assorted summer beans, snipped
- 7 ounces sushi grade tuna
- 8 red pear or cherry tomatoes
- 8 yellow pear or cherry tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons pitted Nicoise olives
- 4 teaspoons pitted Manzanilla olives
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves
- 1/4 cup baby arugula, rinsed and dried
- 8 marinated white anchovies
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
Begin by preparing the vinaigrette. Sweat the red onions in 1 teaspoon olive oil until tender add the golden raisins and the sherry vinegar, bring up to a boil, remove from heat, cover and let cool. To the blender add the mustard, olives, garlic, anchovies and add half the sherry liquid. Pulse to begin and add the remaining sherry liquid slowly. Once all ingredients are homogenous add the 1/2 cup olive oil in a slow and steady stream. Vinaigrette should be emulsified and able to coat the vegetables. Adjust with the fresh ground black pepper; the olives should provide sufficient salt.
Preheat a grill or grill pan.
In a 2-quart pot of cold water, add the whole butter, a pinch of salt and the
potatoes, bring up to a simmer. Cook until fork tender, drain. While still warm slice each potato into 3 equal parts and toss in the vinaigrette. In a pot of salted boiling water blanch and shock the summer beans. Drain and slice down the center to expose the beans inside the pod. Slice the tomatoes lengthwise and hold.
Ten minutes before plating, lightly coat the tuna in the vinaigrette, before grilling. Cook the tuna to a recommended medium rare. While the tuna is cooking, toss the beans, tomatoes, olives and potato in the vinaigrette. Add, the greens just before plating. Check the seasoning and adjust. In a large bowl arrange a bed of the vegetables. Slice the tuna horizontally, exposing the center. Place in the center along with the white anchovies, sprinkle with sea salt, drizzle with olive oil and enjoy.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Frank Morales
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay