Grilled Pork Chops with Onion and Bell Pepper Relish
- Onion and bell pepper relish:
- 2 pounds sweet red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ruby port wine
- 4 (8-ounce) bone-in pork loin chops, about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick, trimmed
- Canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To make the relish: In a straight-sided skillet, saute the onions and bell peppers in the oil until onions are translucent. Add the vinegar, sugar, and port wine, and cook at a very low heat until liquid evaporates. Onions and peppers should still be a little firm to the bite but sweet and caramelized. Set aside.
To cook the pork: Prepare the grill for grilling chops: high heat on left side, medium heat on right side. Drizzle the chops with canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the chops on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, using a inverted baking pan to keep chops covered during cooking. Move the chops to the right side of the grill and continue cooking over medium heat. Cook 4 minutes and then turn chops over to finish cooking, keeping covered for an additional 4 minutes. Cook to 150 degrees F internal temperature.
Serve with the relish.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.