Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Tropical Salsa
- 2 pounds medium (21-25 count) shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails off
- 2 limes, sliced, plus the juice of 2 limes (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- Tropical Salsa:
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple, 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium ripe avocado, diced
- One 15-ounce jar cactus, rinsed, patted dry and diced (about 1 cup), such as Dona Maria Nopalitos Tender Cactus
- 1 red jalapeno, minced, seeds optional
- 1 medium ripe mango, 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried epazote
- 3/4 cup Mexican crema
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
For the shrimp: Place the shrimp, limes and onions in a resealable plastic bag. Whisk together the oil, salt, cloves, lime juice and chipotle in a small bowl. Pour over the shrimp in the bag and seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as possible. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
For the tropical salsa: Meanwhile, combine the pineapple, avocado, cactus, jalapenos and mangoes in a medium bowl. Add the cilantro, vinegar, oil and epazote and toss to combine. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
For assembly: Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and sprinkle with salt. Place the shrimp on the grill over direct heat and cook, turning once, until they are charred and the flesh is pink, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add the cooked shrimp to the salsa and toss to combine. Sprinkle with salt.
To serve, whisk together the crema, adobo, lime zest and lime juice in a small bowl. Build the tacos starting with a corn tortilla, add 4 to 5 shrimp, 1/4 cup tropical salsa, a drizzle of the crema mixture and some cilantro leaves.
Recipe courtesy Kelsey Nixon
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay