Grilled Turkey Po' Boy
- 1 whole wheat French baguette, split lengthwise and cut into 3 to 4 equal pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- Miss Dixie's Remoulade, recipe follows
- 3/4 pound Buttermilk-Brined Turkey Breast, recipe follows
- 4 to 5 heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini slices, drained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded romaine lettuce, loosely packed, dark green ends discarded
- Miss Dixie's Remoulade:
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup loosely packed Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons Memphis-style BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons Creole-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 green onions, ends trimmed, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 medium Anaheim pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/3 large red bell pepper, seeds removed
- 1/2 stalk celery
- Buttermilk-Brined Turkey Breast:
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3-pound) turkey breast, bone-in
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (recommended: Crystal)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
Preheat the oven to a low broil. Butter the bread and place on a baking sheet. Broil until golden, 2 to 3 minutes, and remove from the oven.
Spread Miss Dixie's Remoulade on both sides of the bread. Layer on the turkey, tomatoes, pepperoncini and romaine. Top with other half of bread and serve immediately.Miss Dixie's Remoulade: Buttermilk-Brined Turkey Breast:
Combine all the ingredients together in a large re-sealable plastic bag. Place in a bowl, to catch any leaks, and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Remove the turkey breast from the brine, drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
Place the turkey breast, skin-side up, on a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack. Place in the oven and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes. Turn the oven up to 400 degrees F and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F and the skin is nicely browned. Remove from the oven, cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium heat and oil the grates generously with vegetable oil.
Once the turkey has rested, cut the meat off the bone and carve into 3/8-inch thick slices. Place the slices on the grill and cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side, just until grill marks develop. Remove from the grill. Yield: 1 (2 1/2 to 3-pound) bone-in turkey breast.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Apple-Sage Glazed Grilled Whole Turkey with Grilled Apples, Grilled Turkey with Pomegranate-Black Pepper Glaze, Pan Fried Catfish Po'Boys with Green Tomato Chow Chow, Turkey Sandwiches, Turkey Pot Pie Recipes, Sandwich Recipes, Brined Turkey Recipes, Turkey Meatloaf Recipes, Roasted Turkey Recipes