Guid's Pickled Hot Veggies
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 cup garlic cloves, cut in quarters, divided into 1/4 cup portions
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1/2 cup baby carrots, cut in half
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup celery, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Anaheim pepper, julienned
- 1/4 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/4 red onion, julienned
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup Spanish olive, large, diced
- 1/2 cup black olives, seeded, diced
- 1/4 cup pepperoncinis, stems, seeds removed, diced
In a large pot of boiling water, blanch vegetables. Add half of the garlic and the salt and peppercorns. Start with Carrot, boil 30 seconds, add in Cauliflower, boil 30 seconds, add celery boil 15 seconds, then add Anaheim peppers, bell peppers and red onion time 15 seconds more. Immediately remove all from water and immediately put in ice bath. Discard peppercorns and garlic.
In a large jar, add the uncooked garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, cracked pepper, salt, sugar and one cup of the vinegar. Chop the cooled blanched vegetables into dice. In a bowl combine the olives, pepperoncinis and the diced vegetables. Add the mix to the jar with the seasonings, cap and shake to combine seasonings into mix. Top with additional red wine vinegar to cover mix if necessary. Refrigerate 24 hours. Will keep for 2-3 weeks under refrigeration.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.