Guy's Spicy Spanish Rice
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 ear corn, shucked
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced, about 1 cup
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded, ribs removed and diced
- 1 chayote squash, peeled, seed removed and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped Spanish olives
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
Heat the grill or broiler to high.
Arrange the red bell, poblano, jalapeno, serrano and corn on the grill or under the broiler. Char, turning frequently, until the peppers have blistered and corn is starting to brown slightly. The smaller peppers will finish first, as they do, transfer to a small paper bag and close. Let the peppers sweat and cool, then remove the seeds and skin and dice. Cut the corn kernels from cob. Add the peppers and corn to a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, yellow bell pepper and chayote. Saute until just starting to caramelize. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in the garlic and rice and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken stock, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in prepared peppers and corn, the olives, black beans and tomatoes. Cook until the rice is tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Turn off the heat, add the cilantro and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.