Matthew's Malibu Oysters
- 8 large oysters, BBQ size
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup fried potato sticks (recommended: Pik-Nik)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- 6 ounces havarti cheese, sliced
- Rock salt, for baking
Preheat a grill to high. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Shuck the oysters and set aside in the refrigerator or on ice, keeping them in the shell.
In a small saute pan, add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers and red onions and saute for 3 minutes, and then add the spinach and allow to wilt. Adjust seasoning, to taste.
Top each oyster with the spinach mixture, dividing evenly, and then do the same with the mayo mixture. Top with the havarti and place on a baking sheet lined with a layer of rock salt. Roast in the oven until cheese is bubbly and oysters are just warmed through, 5 to 6 minutes.
Let cool enough to handle, and then serve right away.
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri