Grilled Artichoke Sub
- 1 head garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated romano
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Three 10-ounce jars oil-packed artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 large French baguette
- 4 to 6 vibrant leafs of red leaf lettuce
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted with salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Lop off stem end of the head of garlic. Pour the olive oil over the exposed cloves, sprinkle with salt and pepper and wrap loosely in foil. Bake until soft and slightly caramelized, about 20 minutes. Let cool, squeeze out the garlic cloves and set aside. Once cool, using your knife, chop into a paste.
Mix together the roasted garlic, ricotta, basil, romano and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Gently add the artichokes to the grill pan and grill until properly charred, 4 to 5 minutes a side, then set aside.
Meanwhile, lightly toast the baguette, about 5 minutes.
For the sandwich build: Split the toasted baguette in half and schmear each half with the ricotta spread. Then pile on the grilled artichokes. Next, add the toasted pine nuts and finally the red leaf lettuce. Cut to serve your family and friends and enjoy with a side of Tony Bennett perhaps.
Recipe courtesy Jeff Mauro
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis