Latke Corned Beef Sandwich with Apple and Sour Cream Slaw
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 1/3 cup matzo meal
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 red onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 pound lean corned beef, thinly sliced
- Apple and Sour Cream Slaw, recipe follows
- Apple and Sour Cream Slaw:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 Granny Smith apples, coarsely grated on box grater
- 1 shallot, grated(1/4 cup)
Grate the potatoes on a box grater, using a large grate, into a large bowl. Rinse the potatoes by covering with water and then drain the water from the potatoes, squeezing out as much water as possible.
Add the matzo meal, chives, flour, salt, pepper, eggs and onions to the potatoes and mix well.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Measure 1 cup of the potato mixture and add to the pan. Flatten the latke slightly with a spatula. Fry the latke until the edges are golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes each side. Transfer to a wire rack to drain. Repeat until all the potato mixture is used, adding oil as necessary.
Place 4 ounces corned beef on top of 1 latke. Top with the Apple and Sour Cream Slaw and with another latke.Apple and Sour Cream Slaw:
Add the sour cream, vinegar, mustard, honey, oil and cinnamon to a large bowl. Mix well and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the lemon juice, apples and shallots and toss to combine. Let the slaw stand at room temperature, about 20 minutes. Yield: 1/2 cup.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Dry-aged Italian Beef Sandwich with Homemade Giardiniera, Sweet Peppers, Suet-Fried Chips and Broccoli Rabe, Corned Beef Grilled Cheese, Open-Faced BBQ Beef Sandwich, Beef Stew Recipes, Mashed Potato Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Pepper Steak Recipes, Baked Chicken Recipes, Potato Pancake Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.