Shredded Beef Tostadas (Salpicon)
- One 2-pound boneless beef brisket
- 1 large white onion, quartered
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons dried crumbled Mexican oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup seeded chopped cucumber (from 1/2 English or hothouse cucumber)
- 1 cup seeded chopped tomatoes (from 2 tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup capers, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 radishes, finely chopped
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced, for serving
Put the brisket in a large pot and fill with enough water to cover the meat by an inch. Add the onion quarters and 1/4 cup salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer partially covered until the brisket is very tender, 2 1/2 hours. Add more water if needed to keep the meat covered. Turn off the heat and let the brisket cool in the cooking liquid to room temperature. Drain the brisket, discard the water and cool completely.
Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette by whisking the olive oil and vinegar in a medium bowl until well combined. Add the lime juice, red onion and oregano and whisk again. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
Shred the brisket into a large bowl. Add the cucumbers, tomatoes, capers, cilantro and radishes and toss to combine. Add the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
To make the grilled tostadas: Heat a grill pan on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Place a corn tortilla onto the hot pan until the tortilla is crisp with a slight char. Cook for about 5 minutes each side. Scoop the shredded beef salad onto the grilled tostada and garnish with some avocado slices.
Recipe courtesy Marcela Valladolid
Recipe courtesy of Ingrid Hoffmann