Artichokes Roman Style: Carciofi alla Romana
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 artichokes, halved and trimmed of coarse (but not inner) leaves, choke removed, held in acidulated water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup boiling water
In a small bowl, combine the parsley, mint, garlic, salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil. In the cavity of the artichoke from which the choke was removed, place 1 teaspoon of the herb mixture. Repeat this procedure with the remaining chokes. Arrange all chokes in a deep pan that keeps them close together, in other words, one that doesn?t give them room to fall over. Add the wine, boiling water, remaining oil and a pinch of salt. Cover and simmer on the stovetop 1 hour. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.