Broccoli Rabe Crostini with Crotonese and Black Pepper-Oregano Oil
- 1/2 pound broccoli rabe, rinsed and dried
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced paper thin
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus 1/2 cup
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 12 slices Italian country-style bread
- 1/2 pound Crotonese cheese or other semi-soft sheeps milk cheese
Bring 6 quarts water to boil. Set up an ice bath with 4 cups water and 4 cups ice in a large mixing bowl.
Submerge broccoli rabe in boiling water and cook 3 minutes until bright green and fork tender. Remove from boiling water and plunge into ice bath and allow to cool (about 5 minutes). Remove rabe from ice bath and drain well. Remove florets and cut remaining stalks into 1/2-inch pieces. Place in mixing bowl and add garlic, 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar and crumbled dried oregano. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. In a blender, mix 2 tablespoons black pepper, fresh oregano and a half cup extra virgin olive oil until smooth and dark green. When ready to serve guests, toast bread on both sides over the grill. Spoon 2 tablespoons broccoli rabe over each piece of bread and drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon black pepper-oregano oil. Shave a piece of crotonese over with a peeler and serve still warm.
Recipe Courtesy of �Mario Batali