- 8 jumbo artichokes
- 12 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 lemons, zested, seeded, peeled, and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch chili flakes
- 1 cup almonds, thinly sliced
Preheat barbecue or grill.
Cut off the pointy tops and tips of the jumbo artichokes by about 1 1/2 inches. In a food processor, combine the garlic, salt, pepper, chopped lemons, oregano leaves and 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil until well mixed. Turn off the processor, add more extra-virgin olive oil, a pinch of chili flakes and almonds.
Using your fingers, spread each artichoke apart until they are opened like flowers. Divide the oregano mixture among the artichokes, and stuff it down between the leaves. Drizzle 4 to 5 tablespoons olive oil over each artichoke and, and place the flowers up into the coals or on top of the grill. Cook, turning occasionally, for 1 hour. The outer base will char and become inedible, but the insides will be fully cooked and amazing.