- 2 pounds fresh buffalo mozzarella, cut into 4 (3 by 4-inch) slices
- 8 slices American-style sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 3 tablespoons sweet butter
Divide the 4 pieces of mozzarella on 4 slices of bread. Cover with the 4 remaining slices of bread to form sandwiches. Cut the bread away to leave a 1/4-inch border around the perimeter of the cheese and set aside.
In a 12 to 14-inch non-stick saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil until smoking. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and cook until the sizzling subsides. Place 2 sandwiches in the pan and cook until golden brown on the first side. Flip each sandwich and cook on the other side. Remove sandwiches and set aside. Repeat the process with the remaining oil, butter and sandwiches. Serve immediately.