- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, preferably "Picolo Fino"
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino
- 10 tablespoons Ligurian extra virgin olive oil
In a large stone mortar, place pine nuts, basil, garlic and salt and grind with a pestle until paste. Add cheeses and drizzle in olive oil, reserving a little for coating pesto in the jars,beating with a wooden spoon. Store in jars, topped with a very thin coating of extra virgin olive oil to just cover the pesto.
- TRENETTE WITH PESTO, POTATOES AND BEANS
- 1 cup fresh pesto
- 6 new potatoes (or small red potatoes), boiled and halved
- 1 cup young green beans (or haricot verts), blanched and refreshed
- 1 pound package Trenette pasta
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
Place pesto, potatoes and beans in a 12 inch to 14 inch saute pan and set aside. Cook pasta according to package instructions until "al dente" and drain. Add pasta to pan, place over medium heat and toss until warm through. Pour into warmed serving dish and serve.