Rabbit alla Caciatora Barese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 rabbit, dressed and eviscerated and cut into 8 pieces
- (2 front haunches, 2 rear haunches and 4 saddle pieces)
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped 1/2-inch dice
- 2 pieces whole hot Calabria peppers
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, halved
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, cut 1/8-inch julienne
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup basic tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
Season flour with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
Rinse and pat dry pieces, including liver, heart and kidneys. Dredge all pieces in flour and shake off excess.
In a heavy bottom Dutch oven or La Creuset, heat olive oil until smoking. Cook pieces of rabbit, 3 to 4 at a time, until dark golden brown and remove to plate, about 20 minutes. When finished with rabbit, add onions, chilies, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes and sugar and cook until onions have softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add orange juice, white wine and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Add rabbit pieces and lower heat to a simmer and cook 45 to 50 minutes, until meat is tender and sauce has reduced by two-thirds. Check for seasoning, place on serving platter, sprinkle with orange zest, rosemary and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.