- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus 1/2 cup
- 1 medium red onion, chopped into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, scraped and chopped into 1/4 inch thick half moons
- 2 ribs celery, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 cups white cannellini or brown borlotti beans, soaked and fully cooked
- 4 cups reserved bean liquid
- 1 cup basic tomato sauce
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, chopped into 1/2 inch ribbons
- 1 bunch kale, chopped into 1/2 inch ribbons
- 1 bunch black cabbage ( cavolo nero), chopped into 1/2 inch ribbons
- Garnish: 4 slices country bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano
In a large 8 quart pot, heat oil, onion and garlic together and cook until soft. Add carrots, celery, potatoes, 2 cups of beans, 4 cups of bean cooking liquid (or water) and basic tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Lower heat, add chard, kale, black cabbage and simmer 1 1/2 hours until everything is soft. Add remaining beans and adjust seasoning. Allow to cool and rest overnight.
The following day, bring to a boil and serve in shallow bowls over toasted bread. Sprinkle with parmigiano tableside.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.