- 4 large yellow or red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and seeded yet left intact
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs, toasted in a 400 degree F oven for 2 minutes
- 1/2 cup capers, rinsed
- 4 ounces Gaeta olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 cup pecorino, grated
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the raisins, bread crumbs, capers, olives, garlic, pecorino, oil, salt and pepper and mix well with hands to form a smooth mixture. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and stuff each pepper with 1/4 of the mixture, taking care not to tear the sides of the peppers.
In a shallow casserole, arrange the peppers and add the wine and the vinegar. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, until just starting to darken, basting occasionally. Serve immediately, or cool and serve at room temperature.