- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen petite peas
- 3/4 cup (2 ounces) grated sharp cheddar or Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 2 to 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a medium size saucepan combine rice with broth and bring the liquid to a boil over medium heat. Cover and simmer until the rice is almost tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the peas and simmer, covered 5 minutes longer. At this point you can serve half to the kids, garnished with some cheese. If you are making this for adult tastes only stir in Worcestershire, cayenne and grated cheese. Remove the pan from the heat and continue to stir until the cheese is entirely melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately before the dish gets gummy.
To reheat leftovers and change the flavor a bit, layer the rice in a baking dish and top with some tomato sauce. Cover and reheat in a microwave or regular oven until very hot.