- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for pan
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle light beer
- 1 cup grated smoked Gouda
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
In a separate bowl whisk together egg, vegetable oil and beer and stir the batter until it is just combined.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix in the cheese and thyme. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 45 minutes.
Let cool on a wire rack.