New York-Style Philly Cheese Steak
- Gary's Secret Onions:
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sansho (Japanese pepper)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground tamarind
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried juniper berries
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dried bay leaf, crumbled
- 3 large Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Tangy Relish and Cheese Steak:
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons cornichons, diced
- 2 tablespoons drained green peppercorns (packed in water)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 5 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound rib-eye, very thinly sliced by your butcher
- 12 slices white American cheese
- 4 poppy seed kaiser rolls, split
Make Gary's secret onions: In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except the onions and oil. Working in batches, grind the spice mixture in a clean coffee grinder. Return half of the spice mixture to the bowl and reserve the remaining spice mixture. Add the onions to the bowl of spice mixture and mix to combine. Store the onions in the refrigerator, covered, to marinate for at least 3 hours and up to overnight. Heat the 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the marinated onions and reserved spice mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Set aside covered with foil to keep warm.
Make the tangy relish and cheese steak: In a mini food processor, combine the ketchup, capers, cornichons, green peppercorns, and celery salt and pulse four or five times. Add the vinegars and pulse two to three times until just blended. Set aside.
When ready to serve, heat the 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring, until just cooked through. Remove from the heat.
Slather the bottom halves of the rolls with the tangy relish and top with the beef, onions, cheese and the top halves of the rolls. Slice and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.