Odyssey's Mustard Crusted Side of Salmon
- Baked Salmon:
- 1 pound butter
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 cup whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups panko bread crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs) Do not substitute regular bread crumbs
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) side of salmon, skin on, pin bones removed
Whip butter with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the garlic, mustard, thyme, lemon juice, Old Bay, salt, pepper, and panko, and mix well. Line a small sheet pan with parchment paper or waxed paper and lay salmon, skin side down, on pan. Blot salmon with paper towels to remove any moisture. "Crust" the salmon while the butter is still soft, allowing a 1/4-inch crust. At this point, the salmon may be refrigerated (cover with plastic wrap after butter has hardened).
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Bake for approximately 10 minutes for a still slightly pink fish. Use 2 long flat spatulas, coming in from either end, to lift the salmon off the paper and transfer to a serving platter.
Chefs Note: Use your imagination, substitute dill for the thyme, horseradish for the mustard, substitute crushed potato chips for the Panko (try different flavors of chips or use pretzels or tortilla chips). This dish can also be prepared for individual portions.