- 4 strips bacon, for garnish
- 12 ounces extra-sharp white Cheddar, grated
- 1/4 cup grated extra-sharp yellow Cheddar
- 1 (7-ounce) jar pimentos, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Neelys BBQ seasoning, recipe follows
- 4 chopped scallions, for garnish
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, plus 1/4 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon seeded and chopped jalapeno
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 7 ounces green chiles, drained and chopped
For the frosting:
Cook the bacon, over medium heat in a small skillet, until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain and cool, then chop and set aside. Combine the remaining ingredients, except the scallions, in a medium bowl and mix well. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
For the batter:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, eggs, buttermilk and 3 tablespoons melted butter. Mix well to combine.
Saute onions and jalapenos using 1/4 tablespoon butter, about 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper and chiles. Remove from heat, cool slightly and add to the batter.
Spray 2 (12 capacity) muffin pans with nonstick spray. Fill the pans 3/4 full with the batter. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden. Let cool and frost with pimento cheese mixture. Garnish with chopped bacon and chopped scallions.
Neelys BBQ Seasoning:
Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.