Kansas City Style Pork Ribs
- 2 slabs pork spare ribs, 3 pounds each
- Kansas City Barbeque Sauce, recipe follows
- Dry Rub:
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Kansas City Barbeque Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (about 2/3 cup)small onion, finely diced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup (2 (6-ounce) cans) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Remove the thin white membrane off of the bone-side of the ribs. Mix together the brown sugar, dry mustard, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Massage the rub into the ribs and let sit for 1 hour or up to overnight.
If cooking on the grill, place the ribs meat-side down next to medium-hot coals that are about 225 degrees F. The indirect heat will cook them slower, making them tender. Allow to cook for 1 hour. Turn ribs every half hour and baste with the Kansas City Barbeque Sauce. Cook until the ribs are tender, about 3 to 4 hours.
If cooking indoors, place in a roasting pan with a rack. Slather the ribs with the Kansas City Barbeque Sauce and tent a piece of aluminum foil over them. In a preheated 350 degrees F. oven, place the ribs, basting with the sauce every 30 minutes and removing the foil for the last 30 minutes and cooking until fork tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.Kansas City Barbeque Sauce:
In a small sauce pot on medium-high heat, heat the oil and add the onion, cooking until translucent.
Yield: 3 cups
More Recipes and Ideas:
Mock "Kansas City" Style Smoked Spare Ribs with Kansas City Style Rib Rub and Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce, Kansas City-style Baby Back Ribs with Onion Rings and Boiled Corn, Beer-Braised Country-Style Pork Ribs, Pulled Pork Recipes, Turkey Breast Recipes, Short Ribs Recipes, Pork Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Roasted Turkey Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.