- 12 flat-bottomed wafer ice cream cones
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup well shaken buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
Sugar red hearts, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Put 12 flat bottomed ice cream cones into cupcake tins.
In a large mixing bowl, using a hand held electric beater, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vegetable oil and beat well, then add the buttermilk, white vinegar, vanilla extract and food coloring. Beat until just combined, then add dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
Divide the batter among the ice cream cones, filling half way. Bake in the center rack of the oven until a tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
In a medium bowl beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth and creamy. Stir in the vanilla extract. Add the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
Frost the tops of the cupcakes and sprinkle with sugared red hearts.
Cook's Note: If you want to add to the theme more, using an ice cream server, scoop the frosting and put it on top of the cones to mimic a scoop of ice cream.