Shrimp Cakes with Peach Jalapeno Relish
- 1 pound large peeled, deveined cooked shrimp, diced
- 2 cups corn
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Dash hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Peach Jalepeno Relish, recipe follows
- Peach Jalapeno Relish:
- 3 ripe peaches, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno (about 1 1/2 teaspoons), seeded and diced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a food processor, pulse shrimp. Place into a large bowl. Pulse corn, pepper, onion and jalapeno. Remove and drain through a sieve to get rid of extra water that the vegetables may release. Add to bowl along with 1 cup bread crumbs, hot sauce, chili powder and eggs. Stir well together. Form into cakes about 1-inch thick. Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to firm up.
Heat a large skillet with vegetable oil over medium heat.
In a shallow dish, add the remaining 1 cup of panko; add salt and pepper. Bread the cakes in the panko. Add the cakes in batches to the oil, cooking about 4 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel lined sheet tray. Serve with relish.Peach Jalapeno Relish:
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Chill until ready to serve.
Cook's Note: The relish tastes better if made in a few days advance.
Recipe courtesy The Neelys
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse