Pear and Oatmeal Crisp
- 4 to 5 ripe Bartlett or Anjou pears
- 1/4 cup cranberries, fresh or dried
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats, uncooked
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg and salt
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Heavy whipping cream or ice cream, for serving
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Peel, core, and thickly slice the pears. Toss them with the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cranberries and turn them into a deep, buttered 2-quart baking dish. The fruit should be at least 2 1/2-inches deep in the pan; add more fruit, if necessary.
For the topping, in a bowl, stir together the flour, oats, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Drizzle in the melted butter tossing the ingredients with a fork to blend. Be careful not to over mix because you want a loose crumbly mixture, not a bound-together ball of topping. Sprinkle the topping over the pears.
Bake for 30 minutes, until pears are tender and topping is browned. Serve warm with heavy cream or ice cream.
Recipe courtesy Gale Gand