Pear and Oatmeal Crisp
- 4 to 5 ripe Bartlett or Anjou pears
- 1/4 cup cranberries, fresh or dried
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats, uncooked
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg and salt
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Heavy whipping cream or ice cream, for serving
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Peel, core, and thickly slice the pears. Toss them with the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cranberries and turn them into a deep, buttered 2-quart baking dish. The fruit should be at least 2 1/2-inches deep in the pan; add more fruit, if necessary.
For the topping, in a bowl, stir together the flour, oats, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Drizzle in the melted butter tossing the ingredients with a fork to blend. Be careful not to over mix because you want a loose crumbly mixture, not a bound-together ball of topping. Sprinkle the topping over the pears.
Bake for 30 minutes, until pears are tender and topping is browned. Serve warm with heavy cream or ice cream.